Wednesday, February 08, 2006


Checked Your Attic Lately...?

Being a 'New Australian' (if you can call someone who has been in the country nearly twelve years 'new') I am still often amazed by the quirkiness of Australian popular culture. Luckily having watched the Aussie TV show 'Neighbours' for a number of years in England prior to my arrival upon antipodean shores, the shock was not as bad as it might have been. Having said that, I still live with the mental scars from my first encounter with a show called 'Hey Hey It's Saturday' only days after I stepped from the arrivals hall at Melbourne airport...

But then I come across stories like this in Britain's The Guardian newspaper:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1703094,00.html about a man who recently found a preserved alien in a jar in his attic, and somehow I don't find Australia as odd a place as I once thought it to be...

2 comments:

BEVIS said...

Hey Hey, It's Saturday ruled, man!

For just the sort of reason you mentioned - because it was so unequivocally Australian, and watching the stunned faces of anyone new to or visiting our shores made it so much more fun!

It wouldn't work now, but for the era it was on TV, it was excellent television by which you could get ready for a Saturday night out on the town.

Logan said...

Exactly Bevis, and that is why I came to realise it’s worth and valid place within Australian television culture. Watch this space for a post dealing further with my experiences regarding both Hey Hey and Neighbours.